By: Dr. Dev Batra | 07.28.23
Texas Vascular Institute is a specialist clinic that offers the most advanced and minimally invasive treatments for varicose veins at our Dallas location.
Varicose veins are enlarged, twisted, and bulging veins, usually visible on the legs and feet. These unsightly veins are caused by a variety of factors, such as genetics, age, pregnancy, obesity, and prolonged standing or sitting. Common symptoms and complications include pain, swelling, itching, bleeding, skin changes, ulcers, and even blood clots.
Surprisingly, varicose veins are not just a cosmetic issue – they’re a medical condition that can impact your health and overall well-being. This article explores everything you need to know about varicose veins, from prevention to treatment.
Why Are Varicose Veins Common?
Several demographic and environmental factors contribute to the high prevalence of varicose veins, including in Dallas:
- Older Population: A significant population of older adults are vulnerable to developing varicose veins due to age-related weakening of vein walls and valves.
- High Obesity Rate: Dallas, like many cities in the United States, faces an obesity epidemic. Excess weight puts extra pressure on the veins in the legs, which can lead to the formation of varicose veins.
- Hot and Humid Climate: Dallas’ hot and humid weather can lead to vasodilation (expansion of blood vessels) and fluid retention, worsening varicose vein symptoms.
- Lifestyle Habits: Smoking, lack of exercise, and poor diet may elevate the risk of varicose veins.
As per recent data, about 30% of adults in Texas are grappling with varicose veins, with a substantial number of cases originating from Dallas. A Dallas-based vascular clinic treated over 3,000 patients for varicose veins in the last year alone.
If you’re a Dallas resident and are dealing with varicose veins or are at risk of developing them, you’re likely asking yourself: what can I do to prevent or manage this condition?
How to Prevent and Diagnose Varicose Veins
You can potentially prevent or reduce your risk of developing varicose veins with the following strategies:
- Compression Gear: Wearing compression stockings or socks can improve blood flow and reduce swelling.
- Leg Elevation: Elevate your legs to relieve vein pressure when sitting or lying down.
- Regular Exercise: Regular workouts strengthen your muscles and enhance circulation.
- Maintain a Healthy Weight: Keeping a balanced weight reduces strain on your veins.
- Movement: It is advisable to avoid extended periods of sitting or standing. It is important to frequently change your position to prevent the accumulation of blood.
- Wardrobe Check: Avoid tight clothing or shoes that restrict blood flow.
- Avoid Excessive Heat: Limit sun exposure that can dilate the veins.
To diagnose varicose veins, you can start with a self-examination, looking for signs such as swelling or a blue or purple color on your legs or feet. Consult with a doctor if you experience any symptoms or complications, like pain or skin changes.
A physical examination or an ultrasound test can accurately diagnose varicose veins. If you’ve been diagnosed with varicose veins or have severe symptoms that affect your quality of life, it’s time to consider treatment options.
How to Treat Varicose Veins in Dallas
Dev Batra, MD, is an interventional radiologist specializing in treating vein problems affiliated with the Texas Vascular Institute in Hurst and Dallas. He offers comprehensive and minimally invasive treatment options for varicose veins, including:
- Sclerotherapy: A special chemical solution is injected into the affected vein. The process will cause the vein to close and eventually disappear with time.
- Endovenous Laser Ablation (EVLA): A thin laser fiber seals off the affected vein, causing it to collapse.
- Radiofrequency Ablation (RFA): Heat generated from radiofrequency energy is used to close off the affected vein.
- VenaSeal: A medical adhesive is injected into the affected vein to seal it off.
- Microphlebectomy: Tiny incisions are made in the skin to remove the affected vein segments with a special hook.
These treatments come with a plethora of benefits:
- Performed in an office setting under local anesthesia, typically in less than an hour.
- Minimal downtime and recovery period.
- High success rates and low complication rates.
- Improvement in the appearance and function of the veins.
- Relief from symptoms and complications.
- Most insurance plans cover these treatments.
Patients who have undergone our cutting-edge treatments for varicose veins are experiencing remarkable results and newfound confidence in their legs. If you’re looking for a safe, effective, and convenient way to treat your varicose veins in Dallas, consider contacting our office today. To learn more about your options or to schedule an appointment, visit Texas Vascular Institute.
The Cost of Varicose Vein Treatment and Insurance Coverage
The cost of varicose vein treatment varies based on several factors, such as:
- Type and severity of your condition
- Number and location of veins treated
- Type of treatment performed
- Provider’s fees
Most insurance plans cover varicose vein treatment if it’s medically necessary, i.e., if you have symptoms or complications that affect your health or quality of life. You may need to provide documentation from your doctor or try conservative therapy (like compression stockings or lifestyle changes) before getting approval for coverage.
If your insurance doesn’t honor varicose vein treatment or if you lack coverage, there might be financing options from your provider or third-party lenders. Before signing any agreement, remember to ask about payment plans, interest rates, fees, and terms.
In Summary: Your Path to Healthier Veins
This article explored varicose veins, their impact, preventive measures, diagnosis, and treatment options in Dallas with Texas Vascular Institute.
Remember, varicose veins aren’t just a cosmetic concern—they’re a medical condition that can significantly affect your health and quality of life. However, you can find relief and improvement with our latest treatment technologies.
Discover how we can help improve your well-being by learning more or scheduling an appointment at Texas Vascular Institute. Visit our website or call 972-798-4641 to take the first step towards healthier legs. Don’t let varicose veins hold you back any longer – get in touch with us today.
Read more blogs
Varicose Veins in Hurst: Expert Care at Your Doorstep
At Texas Vascular Institute (TVI), we empathize with the discomfort and worry caused by varicose veins. That's why we're here in Hurst, providing cutting-edge treatments that are customized to address your unique needs. With our team of experts wielding extensive knowledge and experience, we promise to provide the utmost care in a warm and compassionate atmosphere. Let us help you find relief and regain your confidence!
Varicose Veins in Dallas: Quality Care You Can Trust
Our exceptional team of vascular specialists are true leaders in their field, armed with years of invaluable experience. Harnessing the power of cutting-edge advancements in vein treatment, they've transformed the lives of numerous patients, liberating them from the pain and unsightly burden of varicose veins. When you choose TVI, you're opting for unparalleled care and unwavering commitment to your varicose vein needs in Dallas.
How to Get Rid of Varicose Veins in Hurst?
The causes and risk factors of varicose veins vary from genetics to age, pregnancy, obesity, and prolonged standing or sitting, among other factors. Some typical signs and possible issues include discomfort, inflammation, irritation, hemorrhage, dermatological alterations, sores, and thrombosis. You may want to seek medical attention if you experience any of the following symptoms or complications.
WHAT OUR PATIENTS
have to say
Texas Vascular Institute always appreciates feedback from our valued patients. To date, we’re thrilled to have collected 378 reviews with an average rating of 5 out of 5 stars. Please read what others are saying about Texas Vascular Institute below, and as always, we would love to collect your feedback.Leave a Review
I'm very particular with my Healthcare and tend to be cautious with referrals to specialists. This office is amazing from the first point of contact. Their staff are friendly, professional and highly knowledgeable. Then the Dr is just as amazing as his staff, absolutely brilliant. Office manager Jessica has this office running like a well oiled machine and does so with a smile, an air of confidence, kindness and professionalism. Love this practice!!
- Richard G.
Dr Batra and his staff are amazing! We are so grateful to have found him. Everyone is so kind and so caring and Dr Batra explains everything so well and does procedures with excellence. Beyond thankful to be under their care!!!
- Bitsy P.
This is a gold standard for how a medical practice should be run. I was promptly seen at my scheduled time, my ultrasound was thorough and I received plenty of attention and care from the staff and Dr.Batra.
- Weronika L.
3500 Oak Lawn Ave, #760
Dallas, TX 75219
For Appointments: 972-798-4710
General Inquiries: 972-646-8346
809 West Harwood Rd, Suite 101,
Hurst, TX 76054
For Appointments: 972-798-4710
General Inquiries: 972-646-8346